Delaware Lights - A History of Lighthouses in the First State

Article number: 11675

Bob Trapani, executive director for the American Lighthouse Foundation and co-founder of the Delaware River & Bay Lighthouse Foundation, recounts the stories of twenty-seven beacons from the lost Cape Henlopen Light Station, completed in 1767, to the Marcus Hook Range Rear Light Station, constructed in 1920. He not only discusses their construction and the changes they have undergone over the years, but also tells dramatic tales of their keepers, who braved storms, isolation and poor conditions so that the lights would stay burning for those at sea